[Haskell-cafe] Re: Non-technical Haskell question

Paul Hudak paul.hudak at yale.edu
Tue Dec 7 13:58:59 EST 2004

Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2004-12-06, Gour <gour-haskell-cafe-dated-1102785921.d04d52 at atmarama.org> wrote:
>>Any idea how to make a (more organize) community effort to bring Haskell out?
>
> I'd rather it didn't until a few warts were fixed.  OTOH, it may be too
> late already, barring a Haskell 2.

Does Python not have warts?  Or Pearl, or Java, or C#?  I don't think
that a few warts prevent a language from becoming a "success".

But you may be right that it is too late... Haskell is getting old!
Sometimes I think that for a language to "succeed" it must do so in its
infancy.

Perhaps the thing to do is create a new language with a new name, but
base it entirely on Haskell's semantics, then equip it with just one
really good library to solve well just one important niche problem, and
see what happens.  If it is seen as a shiny new silver bullet in just
one niche area, it might take off like a rocket.

   -Paul

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like an apple.