[Haskell-cafe] Haskell as data manipulation language?

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Dec 7 05:25:35 EST 2004

I'm struggling to keep up with this list, so I'll make two brief responses
here.  Sorry to not be more forthcoming:

1. The lack of variables in Haskell isn't a problem so much as an
opportunity to think in new and interesting ways.

2. I think that when you talk about "versioning", you come close to a
useful way of thinking about mutable data in Haskell.  My understanding is
that the "classical" way (i.e. pre-monads) to think of mutable values in
functional languages was to model them as a time-sequence of intermediate
values, where a function to "update a state" returns the next value in that
sequence.  Expressed this way, a practical problem arises that the
intermediate values don't (necessarily) go away, creating a potential for
exploding storage requirements.  (If, as with document versioning, you want
to keep the intermediate values, then you need to figure a way to live with
this;  value sharing in pure functional languages is a big help here.)  But
often one is only interested in the "latest" or "current" value in the
time-sequence.  Monads provide a way of capturing this:  the state is
implicitly threaded through a sequence of computations (e.g. the
expressions in a do-list), with old versions thrown away as new ones are
created (unless the state is explicitly saved, which is not always possible).

#g