[Haskell-cafe] Non-technical Haskell question

Jason Bailey azrael at demonlords.net
Mon Dec 6 18:49:41 EST 2004

Ben Rudiak-Gould wrote

<snip>

> Your newer-is-better premise makes little sense. Haskell is a far
> "newer" language than Java; many aspects of Haskell's design are no
> older than Haskell, while nearly all aspects of Java's design have
> been around in other languages for decades. You might as well be
> arguing that Java is better because it's based on older, proven
> technology. Better yet, suppress the urge to compare Haskell and Java
> at all; after all, the more different they are, the more worthwhile it
> is to learn both! Once you're reasonably adept at programming in
> different languages, then you can start thinking about ways to combine
> the advantages of each.
>
> -- Ben

Interestingly enough not once did I indicate that newer is better or
that there was a problem with haskell language. All I said is that the
compiler seemed archaic.

I will say that it probably comes from my background. I'm sure that if I
had started off with C/C++ and moved on to Haskell or that if I started
with Haskell first then I would probably see things differently.

Jason