[Haskell-cafe] Re: Non-technical Haskell question

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Mon Dec 6 11:52:43 EST 2004

John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> writes:

>> sensibly share libraries between apps.  Anyway, disc is cheap.

> Memory not so much, though.  One advantage of having something in .so
> form is that every instance of every application that uses it shares the
> same in-memory image of the code.

Well, a 5 Mbyte [1] overhead isn't really that much, IMHO.  You'd need to
run a lot of (different; if they're the same, the text will be shared)
applications to get any measurable benefit.  Eventually, it would be
nice to have dynamic linkage, but I can see why it isn't a priority.

-kzm

[1] On my Linux system, the overhead seems to be less than 2
Mbyte. 5 Mb is the figure used by the OP.