[Haskell-cafe] Non-technical Haskell question

Harri Haataja harriha at mail.student.oulu.fi
Sun Dec 5 13:46:02 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 11:26:49AM +0000, Keean Schupke wrote:
<quoting was damaged>
> Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
> >Aren't the Hackage and Cabal projects supposed to lead to something
> >like that? http://www.haskell.org/cabal
> Looks like your right, I thought cabal was just a library packaging
> standard, but it appears to have an on-line archive... I guess the
> real question is, can i do:
>
> cabal install <package>
>
> (or equivalent) and have all dependancies and the package I want
> downloaded, configured, compiled, and installed on my system, such
> that I only have to type the one command and then I can start using
> the library straight away? (like with install <blah> in CPAN....)

I think it's an absolutely horrible idea since it goes against strong
package management. The mess CPAN makes is probably an even stronger
reason for me hating perl than the language itself.

That may of course just be an implementation problem. As long as it
allows good packages to be made by vendors (and users, of course) easily
it should cause no great damage.