[Haskell-cafe] Non-technical Haskell question

GoldPython goldpython at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:07:47 EST 2004

I've been somewhat frustrated by most of the things mentioned here and
so don't need to mention them again. (Most recently, just to see I
comiled and linked a haskell "hello,world", came up with something
like an 8 mb binary under Windows and couldn't see from the GHC docs
how to link dynamicly.)

I recently wrote a text editor (something new, eh?) in C# and found
that the docs on the .NET class library to be superb. That quality of
documentation on the Haskell libraries with examples would go a lot.
Manpower, I imagine, would be the issue.

I manage a group of DBA's at a bank and was toying with the idea of
offering a sort of lunchtime-learning thing to the geeks in the office
and seeing who would be interested in learning to think about familier
things in a new way. I don't get to program too much anymore, but I
very much enjoy fiddling around with Haskell, usually in some
integration setting, and was thinking some of the others may enjoy a
new outlook as well.

An aside: Philip Wadler makes good points in a paper I found online
about why people don't use functional languages.