Type tree traversals [Re: Modeling multiple inheritance]

oleg at pobox.com oleg at pobox.com
Tue Nov 4 20:13:08 EST 2003

Hello!

Let me describe (my understanding of) the problem first. Let us assume
a Java-like OO language, but with multiple inheritance. Let us
consider the following hierarchy:

	Object -- the root of the hierarchy

	ClassA: inherits from Object
	  defines method Foo::Int -> Bool
	  defines method Bar::Bool -> Int

	ClassB: inherits from Object and ClassA
	  overloads the inherited method Foo with Foo:: Int->Int
	  overrides method Bar:: Bool -> Int

	ClassC: inherits from ClassA
	  -- defines no extra methods

	ClassD: inherits from ClassB
	  overrides method Foo::Int->Bool
		it inherited from ClassA via ClassB

	ClassE: inherits from classes A, B, C, and D

We would like to define a function foo that applies to an object of
any class that implements or inherits method Foo. Likewise, we want a
function bar be applicable to an object of any class that defines or
inherits method Bar. We want the typechecker to guarantee the above
properties. Furthermore, we want the typechecker to choose the most
appropriate class that implements the desired method. That is, we want
the typechecker to resolve overloading and overriding in
multiple-inheritance hierarchies. The resolution depends not only on
the name of the method but also on the type of its arguments _and_ the
result.

That is, we aim higher than most languages that command the most of
the job postings.

The code below is a trivial modification to the code Brandon Michael Moore
posted the other month.

> {-# OPTIONS -fglasgow-exts -fallow-undecidable-instances -fallow-overlapping-instances #-}
> import Debug.Trace

marker types for the classes

> data Object = Object
> data ClassA = ClassA
> data ClassB = ClassB
> data ClassC = ClassC
> data ClassD = ClassD
> data ClassE = ClassE
>
> instance Show Object where { show _ = "Object" }
> instance Show ClassA where { show _ = "ClassA" }
> instance Show ClassB where { show _ = "ClassB" }
> instance Show ClassC where { show _ = "ClassC" }
> instance Show ClassD where { show _ = "ClassD" }
> instance Show ClassE where { show _ = "ClassE" }

marker types for the methods

> data Foo arg result = Foo
> data Bar arg result = Bar

Let us encode the class hierarchy by a straightforward translation of
the above class diagram. For each class, we specify the list of its
_immediate_ parents.

> class Interface super sub | sub -> super
> instance Interface () Object
> instance Interface (Object,()) ClassA
> instance Interface (Object,(ClassA,())) ClassB
> instance Interface (ClassA,()) ClassC
> instance Interface (ClassB,()) ClassD
> instance Interface (ClassD, (ClassA,(ClassB,(ClassC,())))) ClassE

Let us now describe the methods defined by each class. A method
is specified by its full signature: Foo Int Bool is to be read as
Foo:: Int -> Bool.

> class Methods cls methods | cls -> methods
> instance Methods Object ()
>
> instance Methods ClassA (Foo Int Bool, (Bar Bool Int, ()))
> instance Methods ClassB (Foo Int Int,  (Bar Bool Int,()))
> instance Methods ClassC ()  -- adds no new methods
> instance Methods ClassD (Foo Int Bool,())
> instance Methods ClassE ()  -- adds no new methods

The following is the basic machinery. It builds (figuratively
speaking) the full transitive closure of Interface and Method
relations and resolves the resolution. The tests are at the very end.

First we define two "mutually recursive" classes that do the
resolution of the overloading and overriding.
By "mutually recursive" we mean that the typechecker must mutually
recurse. A poor thing...

Methods mtrace_om and mtrace_ahm will eventually tell the result
of the resolution: the name of the concrete class that defines or
overrides a particular signature.

> class AHM objs method where
>   mtrace_ahm:: objs -> method -> String
>
> class OM methods objs obj method where
>   mtrace_om:: methods -> objs -> obj -> method -> String
>
> instance (Methods c methods, Interface super c,
>           OM methods (super,cs) c method)
>          => AHM (c,cs) method where
>     mtrace_ahm _ =
>        mtrace_om (undefined::methods) (undefined::(super,cs))
>                  (undefined::c)
>
> instance (AHM cls t) => AHM ((),cls) t where
>     mtrace_ahm _ = mtrace_ahm (undefined::cls)
>
> instance (Show c) => OM (method,x) objs c method where
>     mtrace_om _ _ c _ = show c
>
> instance (OM rest objs c method) => OM (x,rest) objs c method where
>     mtrace_om _ = mtrace_om (undefined::rest)
>
> instance (AHM objs method) => OM () objs c method where
>     mtrace_om _ _ _ = mtrace_ahm (undefined::objs)
>
> instance (AHM (a,(b,cls)) t) => AHM ((a,b),cls) t where
>     mtrace_ahm _ = mtrace_ahm (undefined::(a,(b,cls)))

Now we can express the constraint that a class inherits a method

> class HasMethod method obj args result where
>   call  :: method args result -> obj -> args -> result
>   mtrace:: method args result -> obj -> String
>
> instance (AHM (cls,()) (method args result))
>          => HasMethod method cls args result where
>   call sig obj args = trace (mtrace sig obj) undefined
>   mtrace sig _ = mtrace_ahm (undefined::(cls,())) sig

A polymorphic function foo can be applied to any thing that defines a
polymorphic (overloaded) function Foo:

> foo:: (HasMethod Foo cls args result)
>       => (Foo args result) -> cls -> args -> result
> foo = call

Likewise, for 'bar'

> bar:: (HasMethod Bar cls args result)
>       => (Bar args result) -> cls -> args -> result
> bar = call

Finally, the tests

> test1::Bool = foo Foo ClassA (1::Int)

test1 prints "ClassA" -- that is, applying foo to ClassA resolves to
the method Foo defined in ClassA.

> test2::Int = bar Bar ClassA True

test2 also prints "ClassA" -- for method Bar defined in ClassA.

> test3::Bool = foo Foo ClassB (1::Int)
> test4::Int = foo Foo ClassB (1::Int)

test4 prints ClassB but test3 prints ClassA! We see the overloading in
action: ClassB overloads Foo for the signature Foo::Int->Int. So, if
applying foo to ClassB is expected to yield a Bool, the system finds
us a method Foo::Int->Bool that ClassB inherited from ClassA. OTH, if
we want the result of the application of foo to yield an Int, the
system finds an overloaded instance introduced by ClassB itself.

If we uncomment the following

> --test4'::Int = foo Foo ClassA (1::Int)

We get:
/tmp/b.lhs:192:
    No instance for (AHM () (Foo Int Int))
    arising from use of `foo' at /tmp/b.lhs:192
    In the definition of `test4'': foo Foo ClassA (1 :: Int)
Indeed, ClassA has no method Foo::Int->Int. The resolution errors are
determined _statically_. Note that the error message is clear.

> test1c::Bool = foo Foo ClassC (1::Int)
> test1d::Bool = foo Foo ClassD (1::Int)
> test1e::Bool = foo Foo ClassE (1::Int)

test1c prints ClassA, test1d prints ClassD and test1e prints ClassD.