representation getting verbose...

17 Oct 2002 11:08:57 -0400

Greetings Haskellers,

I'm running into a problem representing some fairly complicated types,
and I'll try to put together a simpler example to get your
suggestions.

In Paul Hudak's SOE, I find a definition of expression:

data Expr = C Float | V String | Expr :+ Expr | Expr :- Expr
            | Expr :* Expr | Expr :/ Expr

Now this is compelling, but sometimes, I might want to have a function
that takes a variable only, not just any kind of expression.  I could
write something like:

typeOfVariable :: Expression -> Type
typeOfVariable (V s) = ...
_                    = error...

But thats not very satisfying from a type-checking perspective.  So it
makes sense to create a constructor:

data Variable = VVariable String

data Expr = C Float | V Variable | Expr :+ Expr
             | Expr :- Expr  | Expr :* Expr | Expr :/ Expr

and make typeOfVariable :: Variable -> Type.  But then when I want to
match or create a variable expression, things are starting to get
verbose:

case expr of
  C f -> ...
  V (Variable (VVariable s)) -> ...

And if I want a still more accurate hierarchy, the construction and
destruction of Variables can really become cumbersome.  For an
interpreter I'm writing, I found myself writing a function
"constructVarExpr :: String -> Expr" just to make it easier.  This all
seems very inelegant, and I get the feeling that there's a better way
to do this.

Any suggestions on how I could better represent Expressions or
Variables to keep the type-checking but decrease the verbosity?

peace,

Isaac Jones