infinite (fractional) precision

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:20:45 +1000

G'day all.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 11:50:39AM +0200, Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote:

> There are of course more serious approaches: intervals, etc. The infinite-
> precision arithmetic is a mature domain, developed by many people. Actually
> the Gosper arithmetic of continued fractions is also based on co-recursive
> expansion, although I have never seen anybody implementing it using a lazy
> language, and a lazy protocol.
>
> Anybody wants to do it with me? (Serious offers only...)

Already did it.  It's not pretty, but I'll send you my implementation
off-list.

One thing I'd like to see is a lazy implementation of linear
fractional transformations.  The reason I'd like to see this is
that it's easier to implement fixpoint-style computations (e.g.
transcendental functions) using LFTs than using continued fractions.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage