problems figuring out what the type system is telling me

Chris Moline uglydaemon@shaw.ca
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 22:29:28 -0600

hi. i am really stuck on this problem and i cant seem to figure it out and so
i am posting this in the hopes someone will help me. i realize you prolly get
this kind of question alot but the wiki and the papers i have been reading
arent helping to clarify things.

i am trying to write a little utility to make it easier to get rid of ports on
my machine. the function that is giving me trouble is getDepends. it takes the
name of a port and opens the appropriate +CONTENTS file and returns the
dependencies it finds.

here is the function and its helper.

getDepends :: String -> [String]
getDepends p = do
        handle <- openFile (portsDir ++ p) ReadMode
        fetchDepends handle

fetchDepends :: Handle -> [String]
fetchDepends handle = do
        l <- hGetLine handle
        e <- hIsEOF handle
        case (not e) of	-- ifs keep giving indent errors so ill just use case
                True ->
                        case (matchRegex (mkRegex "^@pkgdep") l) of
                                Just [a] -> [drop 8 l] ++ (fetchDepends handle)
                                _ -> fetchDepends handle
                False -> ""

here is ghci's error messages.

Compiling Pheobe           ( Phoebe.hs, interpreted )

Phoebe.hs:19:
    Couldn't match `[]' against `IO'
        Expected type: [t]
        Inferred type: IO Handle
    In the application `openFile (portsDir ++ p) ReadMode'
    In a 'do' expression pattern binding:
        handle <- openFile (portsDir ++ p) ReadMode

Phoebe.hs:24:
    Couldn't match `[]' against `IO'
        Expected type: [t]
        Inferred type: IO String
    In the application `hGetLine handle'
    In a 'do' expression pattern binding: l <- hGetLine handle
Failed, modules loaded: none.

could someone be so kind as to explain what the problem is?

sincerly,
chris moline