Precision of `Double's in Hugs

Liyang Hu liyang@nerv.cx
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:58:22 +0000

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 12:39:48AM -0800, Mark P Jones wrote:
> Hugs uses single precision by default because the implementation
> using double precision relies on a hack whose behavior is not
> assured in any way by the C language in which it is implemented.

I found this in src/unix/configure.in: (all commented out)

dnl Disabled for now because the plugin-code can't handle the change.
dnl If you're not using plugins, you could turn this on manually
dnl by setting "USE_DOUBLE_PRECISION" in options.h.in (before running
dnl the configure script).
dnl AC_ARG_ENABLE(double-precision, [  --enable-double-precision use double precision arithmetic],  AC_DEFINE(USE_DOUBLE_PRECISION))

Could you clarify if this is the `hack' you were referring to? (And
are there any more? I can live with it if this is the only
disadvantage in enabling double precision support ...)

Thanks,
/Liyang
--
.--| Liyang HU |--| http://nerv.cx/ |--| Caius@Cam |--| ICQ: 39391385 |--.
| HELLO KITTY gang terrorizes town, family STICKERED to death!           |