Precision of `Double's in Hugs

Liyang Hu liyang@nerv.cx
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 22:35:49 +0000

Hi,

(I'm just a new convertee to the ways of Functional Programming, so
please go easy on me! ^_^;;)

Why is it that `Double's in Hugs only seem to have the same
precision as a `Float'? I've some code here that only iterates a few
hundred times, and the amount of accuracy lost is getting a bit
ridiculous ...

Exactly[0] the same code produces the much more accurate results in
GHCi. I'd switch over, but at the very least I'd like to know why
this is happening.

BTW: From the description at http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/communities/
, I seem to get the impression that haskell@haskell.org should only
be used for announcements, yet the archive shows quite a bit of
general discussion going on. Should I have posted this to the
aforementioned list as well / instead?

/Liyang
[0] Minus the non-Haskell 98 compliant bits, like the missing
fromInt ... -_- Took me a while to figure that one out.
--
.--| Liyang Hu |--| http://nerv.cx/ |--| Caius@Cam |--| ICQ: 39391385 |--.
|  A [programming] language that doesn't affect the way you think        |