Editor Tab Expansion

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 09:16:26 +1100

G'day all.

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 02:52:13PM +0100, Ingo Wechsung wrote:

> Ok, if "it just looks better to me" is no reason,

As Simon pointed out, spaces and tabs are visually indistinguishable.
4-column tab stops look no different from multiples of 4-spaces, or a
combination of 8-column tab stops and 4 spaces where appropriate.

The only thing I can think that you mean by this is that editing code
which is already formatted in 8 column indents (i.e. other peoples' code)
looks better to you when formatted in 4 column indents.  That may be true,
but you're breaking their coding standard.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage