Haskell Implemetors Meeting

John Meacham john@foo.net
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:58:34 -0800

Another Haskell -> Haskell transformation tool which I always thought
would be useful (and perhaps exists?) would be a Haskell de-moduleizer.
Basically it would take a Haskell program and follow its imports and
spit out a single monolithic Haskell module. My first thought is that
this should be able to be done by prepending the module name to every
symbol (making sure the up/lowercases come out right of course) in each
module and then appending them to one another.

Why would I want this? curiosity mainly. performance perhaps. There is
much more oprotunity to optimize if seperate compilation need not be
taken into account. It would be interesting to see what could be done
when not worrying about it. It would allow experimentation with
non-seperate compilation compilers by allowing them to compile more
stuff 'out-of-the-box'. Also it may be that performance is so important
that one may want seperate compilation while developing, but when the
final product is produced it might be worth the day it takes to compile
to get a crazy-optimized product. This could also be done
incrementally, unchanging subsystems (like GUI libraries) could be combined
this way for speed while your app code is linked normally for
development reasons....

	John

John Meacham   http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~john/
California Institute of Technology, Alum.  john@foo.net