[GUI] idea regarding mac menubar issue

Glynn Clements glynn.clements@virgin.net
Tue, 6 May 2003 21:59:59 +0100

David Roundy wrote:

> So to summarize, the idea is that by giving each menu command some kind of
> unique identifier and at the beginning of the code giving enough
> information to allow it to assemble those menu commands either into one
> global menu bar or into individual menu bars for each wndow, I think it
> should be possible to write portable menu code that obeys the user
> interface guidelines on both platforms (probably also all platforms, but I
> only really have experience with two) without writing extensive special
> cases.

This sounds as if it might boil down to only allowing that which is
allowed on all platforms, which is too restrictive. While there may be
cases where such a facility might be practical, it would need to be an
alternative to a lower-level API, and not a replacement for it.

I suspect that this sort of issue really is best dealt with by having
platform-specific code.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>