[GUI] Dynamic ... something

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:31:28 +0100

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 06:54:13PM +0200, Wolfgang Thaller wrote:
> None of the approaches need to be mutually exclusive, though:
>
> 1) Explicit placement
> (should not be used directly except in some strange case that I just
> can't think of)
> 2) Platform-specific interface definition files
> 3) Dynamic layout

I don't like the idea of separating explicit placement and dynamic layout. If
we provide a set of simple combinators, these combinators can calculate
fixed positions for Windows and Aqua but use the widget containers which
allow resizing on Gtk and Motif. It is indeed possible to place widgets
at fixed positions in Gtk but it is as difficult (or impossible as it is in
pixels rather in font-specific dialog units as in Windows) as for
all other platforms to get right. Using combinators doesn't go along
with absolute pixel positions anyway as far as I can tell.

I therefore opose to taking "explicit placement" as a starting
point.

Axel.