Cross compiling for Cortex A9

Michael Jones mike at proclivis.com
Sat Aug 2 05:04:10 UTC 2014

Karel,

I was able to get GHC to compile by rebuilding the gcc cross compiler using —with-arch= and —with-tune=

However, it is not a satisfactory solution, because if a gcc toolchain uses multilibs, adding those options does not make sense. In the case of the Yocto toolchain, it does not use multilibs, so I can get away with it.

I’ll test the compiler tomorrow and see how things go.

Here is the GHC info after building:

 [("Project name","The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System")
 ,("GCC extra via C opts"," -fwrapv")
 ,("C compiler command","arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc")
 ,("C compiler flags"," -fno-stack-protector")
 ,("C compiler link flags","")
 ,("Haskell CPP command","arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc")
 ,("Haskell CPP flags","-E -undef -traditional ")
 ,("ld command","/home/mike/fsl-community-bsp/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ld")
 ,("ld flags","")
 ,("ld supports compact unwind","YES")
 ,("ld supports build-id","YES")
 ,("ld supports filelist","NO")
 ,("ld is GNU ld","YES")
 ,("ar command","/home/mike/fsl-community-bsp/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/cortexa9hf-vfp-neon-poky-linux-gnueabi/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ar")
 ,("ar flags","q")
 ,("ar supports at file","YES")
 ,("touch command","touch")
 ,("dllwrap command","/bin/false")
 ,("windres command","/bin/false")
 ,("libtool command","libtool")
 ,("perl command","/usr/bin/perl")
 ,("target os","OSLinux")
 ,("target arch","ArchARM {armISA = ARMv7, armISAExt = [VFPv3,NEON], armABI = HARD}")
 ,("target word size","4")
 ,("target has GNU nonexec stack","False")
 ,("target has .ident directive","True")
 ,("target has subsections via symbols","False")
 ,("Unregisterised","NO")
 ,("LLVM llc command","/usr/bin/llc")
 ,("LLVM opt command","/usr/bin/opt")
 ,("Project version","7.8.3")
 ,("Booter version","7.6.3")
 ,("Stage","1")
 ,("Build platform","x86_64-unknown-linux")
 ,("Host platform","x86_64-unknown-linux")
 ,("Target platform","arm-poky-linux")
 ,("Have interpreter","YES")
 ,("Object splitting supported","NO")
 ,("Have native code generator","NO")
 ,("Support SMP","YES")
 ,("Tables next to code","YES")
 ,("RTS ways","l debug thr thr_debug thr_l  ")
 ,("Support dynamic-too","YES")
 ,("Support parallel --make","YES")
 ,("Dynamic by default","NO")
 ,("GHC Dynamic","NO")
 ,("Leading underscore","NO")
 ,("Debug on","False")
 ,("LibDir","/home/mike/ghc-7.8.3/inplace/lib")
 ,("Global Package DB","/home/mike/ghc-7.8.3/inplace/lib/package.conf.d")
 ]