installing random-1.0.1.1

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 22 19:27:19 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 22 April 2014, 22:53:36, Sergei Meshveliani wrote:
> People,
>
> can you, please, explain me how to make the `random' package visible for
> GHC ?

It is visible to GHC, but `cabal install random` installed the package into
the user database:

> and now  ghc-pkg list
> shows
>
> -------------------------------------
> /home/mechvel/ghc/7.8.2/inst0/lib/ghc-7.8.2/package.conf.d
>
> /home/mechvel/.ghc/x86_64-linux-7.8.2/package.conf.d
>    random-1.0.1.1
> --------------------------------------

whereas

>    make configure
>
> reports
>
>   runghc Setup.hs configure --ghc

by default only looks into the global package database.

If you don't want to use the cabal tool to install your DoCon and stick with
the `runghc Setup.hs ...` way, you have the choice to either

- pass the --user flag to `runghc Setup.hs configure` so that it uses also the
user package database where your random package sits (then DoCon is also
installed for the user and not globally), or

- install random in the global package database, `cabal install --global
random` so that `runghc Setup.hs ...` finds the package in the global DB.

Cheers,
Daniel