Type checker's expected and inferred types (reformatted)

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 06:38:11 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM, Philip K.F.
> Dear GHCers,

>> > Oh darn, it sounds like you're right. And polymorphism is so common.  I
>> > just came up with that example randomly as the first nontrivial
>> > type-error-with-a-lambda I could think of...
>>
>> I think this is a great example of why the current type errors are not
>> as helpful as they could be.  The code where the type checker
>> determines 'x' has type [a] is several steps removed from where the
>> error arises.  This is how I understand this process (I've probably
>> left out some details):
>
> I am a little ambiguous on this issue; I usually find GHC's type errors
> make me realize what I did wrong very quickly, i.e. until I start
> messing with combinations of GADTs, type classes and type families. When
> I've looked at an error for too long without understanding what's
> happening, I usually look for ways to express the same problem in
> simpler constructs.
>
> This case has me stumped, though.
>
>> 1.  checker infers x :: [a] from 'length x'
>> 2.  checker infers (3 + x) :: [a] from (+) and step 1
>> 3.  checker infers the second (+) :: [a] -> [a] -> [a] from step 2
>
> Pardon? Judging from the error GHC gives, you must be right, but isn't
> *this* the point where things should go wrong? I'm not too intimately
> familiar with the type checker's internals, so this example leads me to
> speculate that "normal" types are inferred and checked *before* type
> class constraints are evaluated.

This "(+) :: [a] -> [a] -> [a]" seems wrong from an intuitive sense,
but the type checker doesn't know that.  We know that

  (+) :: Num t => t -> t -> t

It's completely legal (though maybe ill-advised) to construct a Num
instance for [a].  Even if that instance isn't in scope when this code
is compiled, it could be added later.

I should probably wait for a GHC guru to respond to this one, because
I'm in the realm of speculation here, but I expect that "normal" types
need to be inferred, unified, and checked before type class
constraints can be applied.  In the case where a constraint is
necessary, either the type is a concrete type, e.g. Int, Char, for
which the class instance must be in scope, or the type is polymorphic,
e.g. [a], in which case the constraint must be passed up to the
context of where it's used.  The compiler doesn't know which is the
case (or exactly what context is necessary) until it's finished
checking the "normal" types.

> However, I would have wanted this
> error:
>
> Prelude> [1] + [2]
>
> <interactive>:1:0:
>    No instance for (Num [t])
>      arising from a use of `+' at <interactive>:1:0-8
>    Possible fix: add an instance declaration for (Num [t])
>    In the expression: [1] + [2]
>    In the definition of `it': it = [1] + [2]
>
> In other words: isn't the problem in this case that the type checker
> does not gather all information (no instance of type class Num) to give
> the proper error? Is gathering type class information after "normal"
> types have already conflicted even possible?

Just because a type class isn't in scope doesn't mean it will never be
in scope.  In order for this to work, you'd need to distinguish
between code that will never be linked to from elsewhere and code that
will.  I don't think this is possible without completely changing the
compilation chain.  Ghci can do it because, as an interpreter, it
doesn't produce object code to be linked to anyway.

John