[Haskell-cafe] Announcing the GHC Bug Sweep

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 05:27:41 EST 2009

On 17/11/2009 09:49, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:
> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> This is a game for the whole family!  We don't care how much progress
>> you make on each ticket, just as long as someone has taken a look and
>> moved the ticket forward in some way.  For example, you might check
>> for duplicates, update the metadata, ask for more information from
>> the submitter, try to reproduce the bug against the latest version of
>> GHC.
>>
>> To claim a ticket all you have to do is remove it from the list on
>> the wiki.  Full instructions are here
>>
>>     http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/BugSweep
>>
>> including a list of suggestions for ways to make progress on a ticket.
>
> I've taken a look at a ticket and I think it should be closed as
> invalid, but I hesitate to make that decision on behalf of the GHC
> developers. What should I do in these circumstances, just draw it to
> your attention? I have added a comment to the ticket explaining why.
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/29 is the ticket in question.

I agree.  I think we kept the ticket open in the past because there are
limited cases where you might be able to do something (e.g. if the type
is known to be Int, then you know the properties of '<', '==' etc.),
But that's far too vague for a ticket, and it's not clear that it's a
good idea, being limited to built-in types and operations.