Experiment: ghc-api and --split-objs

Bertram Felgenhauer bertram.felgenhauer at googlemail.com
Sat May 17 00:33:08 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've made an experiment compiling ghc-api with --split-objs. To
summarize, while this is not worthwhile for the compiler itself,
it could be a huge win for plugin libraries.

A fairly detailed description can be found here,
  http://int-e.home.tlink.de/haskell/README.ghc-api-test

A tarball with the examples and auxiliary files is at
  http://int-e.home.tlink.de/haskell/ghc-api-test.tar.bz2

Open questions:
- How much work would it to do this within the ghc build?
- Maybe users that only need the parser can win as well? Haddock
  comes to mind here.

In any case, this is food for thought, I hope.

Enjoy,

Bertram