How MD are .hi files?

Matthias Kilian kili at outback.escape.de
Wed May 14 14:38:54 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:35:36AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> >for an unregisterised ghc-6.8.2 (or newer), are the .hi files
> >dependent (except for the 32 vs. 64 bit word size)? I had a quick
> >look at the stuff in compiler/iface, but the only MD part I found
> >was that 32/64 bit difference.
>
> The word size is probably the only dependency, but there are many reasons
> that you can't just take the .hc/.hi files generated by an unregisterised
> build on one machine and expect them to work on another machine.

I really don't expect this. I just decided to be lazy and provide
not only .hc files but also .hi files[1] for the OpenBSD port, and
then I thought: "does this make sense at all? Can it even be of use
for porting GHC to other archs on OpenBSD, or for the NetBSD folks
working on GHC?"

Ciao,
	Kili

[1] Of course, the correct solution would not need the .hi files,
but just use the stage1 bootstrapped from .hc files to start
rebuilding the libraries. But that would require even more hacking
on the Makefiles, and I've already an insane amount of hacks sitting
around.

--
It compiles -- let's ship it!