problem with GHC installaion on x86_64

Yu Di diyu60607 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 18:06:37 EST 2008

Hi, I am trying to use ghc on a 64-bit machine (uname -a shows: Linux ... 2.6.9-55.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 20 16:36:54 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux), I first downloaded the x86 binary bz2 file and successfully installed it, but when I use that version to compile my programs, I get a lot of error messages like:

/tmp/ghc2448_0/ghc2448_0.s:10214:0:
     Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push'

Then I downloaded the x86_64 binary bz2 file and tried to install it, but when I am running "configure --prefix=...", I got:

pwd: timer_create: Invalid argument

and configure fails.

So where should I be able to get a working version for this machine? Thanks!

Di, Yu
1.8