GHCi debugger status

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 04:15:07 EST 2008

Isaac Dupree wrote:
> Simon Marlow wrote:
>> Claus Reinke wrote:
>>> Then how about my suggestion for selectively adding lexical scope to
>>> breakpoints? I'd like to be able to say
>>>
>>>    :break <loc/name> {names}
>>>
>>> and have GHCi make the necessary changes to keep {names} available
>>> for inspection when it hits that breakpoint.
>>
>> The only easy way to do that is to recompile the module that contains
>> the breakpoint.  To do it without recompiling is about as hard as
>> doing what I suggested above, because it involves a similar mechanism
>> (being able to selectively retain the values of free variables).
>
> sure, but GHCi recompiling the module maybe takes less than a second,
> whereas going and modifying the source-code in an editor takes orders of
> magnitude more time!  Is there something fundamentally wrong with
> recompiling an interpreted module?

One problem with recompiling is that you lose any execution context -
normally you can set new breakpoints during execution, but recompiling
would force you to start the debugging session again.  Also any bindings
made on the command-line will be lost.

However, I agree, recompiling is still better than nothing.