Status of GHC runtime dependency on GNU multi precision arithmetic library

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Wed Aug 15 13:41:53 EDT 2007

Hi,
I know this is a sensitive issue and I absolutely don't want to start
any kind of discussion about the merits or otherwise of LGPL, but I was
wondering if there are any plans to remove the GNU mp library from the
runtime so that it would be possible to distribute native executables
compiled with GHC without having to deal with the additional issues
raised by the current inclusion of this LGPL component in the runtime.
(Afaik everything else in ghc is under a BSD3 license.)

It's less of an issue on Linux where libgmp is dynamically linked but
when thinking about using Haskell ghc for creating Windows apps it is
for me a real problem, because it would mean I'd have to distribute the
code for my app as a library along with the code as an executable, thus
doubling the download size for my apps as well as having to include a
license that has to explain to a possibly non-technical user that
although the program includes code that is libre/gratis free the program
is not itself free etc etc...

Regards, Brian.