Installation of Visual Haskell

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed May 10 08:53:12 EDT 2006

Allen Brown wrote:
> I have just installed Visual Haskell as per the instructions at
> http://www.haskell.org/visualhaskell/. I do not see Visual Haskell among
> the supported languages on the splash screen. On the other hand, there
> is a "Haskell Projects" folder under the new projects that can be
> created and the Visual Haskell documentation is apparent under the
> documentation tree rooted at "Visual Haskell Help Collection". Finally,
> if I try to create either a console project or a library project, the
> respective pop-up error messages
>
>     The application for project 'C:\Program Files\Visual
>     Haskell\Templates\Projects\Console Application.cabal is not installed.
>     Make sure the application for the project type (.cabal) is installed.
>
>     The application for project 'C:\Program Files\Visual
>     Haskell\Templates\Projects\Library Package.cabal is not installed.
>     Make sure the application for the project type (.cabal) is installed.

Yes, it looks like the files are installed, but the DLLs aren't properly
registered.  This might be something to do with having both VS 2003 and
2005 installed.

I've CC'd Krasimir Angelov who built the installer, hopefully he'll have
some insights.

We have a fair amount of demand for Visual Haskell, but that isn't
matched by the amount of developer hours available to work on it, I'm
afraid.  We very much hope to put out an updated release that works with
VS 2005 at some point, but I can't give a firm guarantee for when that
will be.