storing highly shared data structures

Bulat Ziganshin bulatz at HotPOP.com
Tue Jan 10 12:44:34 EST 2006

Hello Simon,

>>> does

>>> try to add infamous "+RTS -A10m" switch ;)

SM> The real problem seems to be that minor GCs are taking too long.  Having
SM> said that, you can usually reduce GC overhead with large -A or -H options.

it is the same problem as with scanning large IOArrays on each GC. in
this case, i think, table of stable names scanned each time and
therefore program works so slow. if ghc will dynamically increase
"+RTS -A" area when there are a large IOArrays/stable names table,
this would help improve speed significantly. also, i want to remind my
old suggestion to temporarily disable all GCs, or better to
temporarily change "-A" area at the programs request. That will help
programs like Joels one and my own, where large data structures (say,
5 or 20 mb) are created, used and then completely discarded

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:bulatz at HotPOP.com