hi-boot and dependencies bug?

Isaac Jones ijones at syntaxpolice.org
Fri Apr 15 20:46:05 EDT 2005

Greetings.

I haven't tested this with ghc 6.4 yet, and I don't know if this is a
known problem.  I noticed this while building support for cabal.

I have two mutually recursive modules, prepared as described in the
GHC 6.2 user's manual: A and B

I create A.hi-boot
in B, in import {-source-} A

This works fine.  But now I create C, which imports B (not A).  When I
compile with --make, A does not get built, and I get a link-time
error.

However, if C imports A directly, it builds everything just fine.

I've attached a tarball with the example.  Test it like this:

% ghc --make C.hs
Chasing modules from: C.hs
Compiling B                ( ./B.hs, ./B.o )
Compiling Main             ( C.hs, C.o )
Linking ...
./B.o(.text+0x1b): In function `__stginit_B_':
: undefined reference to `__stginit_A_'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

peace,
  isaac

p.s. please CC me on replies; i'm not subscribed to this mailing list