Unregistered build (was Re: AMD64)

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Jun 18 19:43:27 EDT 2004

listener:
> On Friday 18 June 2004 15:39, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > bet:
> > > Which brings us around to the question that opened this thread, is
> > > there any way to install the unregistered build?
> >
> > Yes. Download and build the src, and 'make install' :-)
> >
> > For some platforms unregistered builds are even being distributed in the
> > native package format, openbsd/amd64 for one, and Ian Lynagh has a
> > *bunch* of Debian platforms running unregisterised GHC.
>
> If you mean
> ftp://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pub/debian-amd64/pure64/pool/main/g/ghc6/ghc6_6.2.1-2_amd64.deb

I was thinking more of the other weird unregisterised Debian archs GHC
is built for.

> this does build hello-world but fails on every other reasonable program I've
> tried it with (internal error: getMBlock: mmap: Invalid argument). And if the
> compilation should succeed the compiled program won't run (segfault because
> of mmap() or munmap()).

Sounds like the behaviour of the amd64 *registerised* build, not an
unregisterised one?

> It's exactly the same problem with my home made build so I don't think it's of
> much use at the moment.

*sigh*
openbsd/amd64 runs fine, and the Haskell ports on this arch (darcs,
alex, happy..) all work. SimonM built a working amd64-linux build about
a year ago, so it does run on linux.

Someone needs to dive in and debug this for linux, because the above
problem isn't a limitation of the amd64 GHC port, but something linux
specific.

<bsd>or you could switch to a different OS ;)</bsd>

-- Don