[wxhaskell-users] RE: [Haskell] Dynamically loading wxhaskell?

Daan Leijen daanleijen at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 14 18:51:09 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 09:37:02 +0100, Simon Marlow <simonmar at microsoft.com> wrote:

>> > What error messages do you get, specifically?
>>
>> Here it is:
>> -------------------------------
>> for: wxc-gtk2.4.2-0.7
>> (/usr/local/stow/wxhaskell//lib/libwxc-gtk2.4.2-0.7.so:
>> undefined symbol:
>> _ZN10wxGLCanvasC1EP8wxWindowiRK7wxPointRK6wxSizelRK8wxStringPi
>> RK9wxPalette)
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> I suspect it's something funny with Debian's setup, and quite possibly
>> a bug somewhere else in Debian.
>
> That symbol looks suspiciously like it comes from the separate OpenGL
> parts of WX, which reside in a separate library

That is probably the problem. I did not see all messages of this thread,
but one should indeed use "--with-opengl" on wxHaskell configure if wxWidgets
was build with "--with-opengl".

Unfortunately, due to wxWidgets changes, I can not automatically detect the
need for this flag, but I promise to discuss it with the wxWidgets devs.

fyi. it seems ghci can not handle stripped dynamic libraries on windows, but
that may be due to the use of both a *.dll and an "import" library *.a.
Funnily enough, ghc can handle link with those.  (I haven't tested extensively
though, and it might be related with the use of the upx packer).

All the best,
  Daan.