<interactive>: internal error, ghc-6.0.1

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Wed Oct 22 16:45:07 EDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:23:51PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > This is on
> >   ghc-6.0.1
> >   installed from RPM on  Red Hat Linux release 7.3 (Valhalla),
> >   i-386 unknown.
> >
> > Probably, you can reduce the example several times more.
> >
> >   ghci Main +RTS -M1m -RTS
> >
> >   ..> : Main
> >   ..> main
> >   (<interactive>: internal error: thread_stack:
> >   weird activation record found on stack: 1564
> >   Please report this as a bug to glasgow-haskell-bugs at haskell.org ..
> >
> > Probably, the interpreter manages memory in a wrong way.
> > Can you reproduce the effect?

> That's a bug, thanks for the report.
>
> Just out of interest, why are you passing the -M1m flag to ghci?  This
> sets a bound of 1M on GHC's memory, and causes the compacting GC to kick
> in when this bound is approached (which will be almost immediately).
> The bug was in the compacting garbage collector, which explains why it
> hasn't shown up until now.

I was deliberately passing various  -Mxx  flags to  ghci
because wanted to find where this simple program manages wrongly the
memory. I did this `instead' of increasing the list  [1..n]  in the
example.
And I started this test after DoCon's real test crashed in  ghci,
within reasonable memory, somewhat about -M40m.

And generally, it is desirable for the tool to allow,
if the user ask this, doing large computation in posibly small
space, even by spending much more time.
The smaller space suffices, the more flexy and nicer the tool is
-- this is my idea.

With kind regards,

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru