Time out

Andy Moran moran@galois.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:48:56 -0700

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 03:58 am, Simon Marlow wrote:

> With asyncrhonous exceptions as they are implemented currently, you onl=
> need one extra thread.  If we ever get around to changing the semantics
> as per the async exceptions paper, then you'll probably need two
> threads.

How do they differ, precisely?  Is it whether throwTo is synchronous or=20
asynchronous?  I seem to recall that we changed the semantics from=20
synchronous to asynchronous, late-ish in the game, in order to stream-lin=
e=20
the semantics.  Is there any reason (other than lack of time) not to brin=
g=20
GHC in line with the paper?

Koen: the paper has a two thread timeout.  It should work even if throwTo=
 is=20
synchronous ...

--=20
Andy Moran                                              Ph.  (503) 526 34=
72
Galois Connections Inc.                                 Fax. (503) 350 08=
33
3875 SW Hall Blvd.                                    http://www.galois.c=
om
Beaverton, OR 97005                                        moran@galois.c=