[ghc-steering-committee] #571: -Wsevere, Shepherd: Adam (rec: accept)

Simon Peyton Jones simon.peytonjones at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 14:26:33 UTC 2023

I think that the motivation for this proposal is to make it harder to shoot
yourself in the foot.

Maybe implementing this "severe" *category*, but not changing its *default *to
error, would get us some of the way there?  Then "best-practice guidance"
could be "use -Werror=severe", and job done.  That's a bit easier to say
than saying "use -Werrror=missing-methods -Werror= ..." etc.

Simon