[ghc-steering-committee] #571: -Wsevere, Shepherd: Adam (rec: accept)

Richard Eisenberg lists at richarde.dev
Mon Sep 18 19:28:20 UTC 2023

I'm tentatively in favor here.

* I really want this!

* I'm worried about backward compatibility. I'm pretty sure I've seen an idiom where you have

> data R a = Mk
>   { f1 :: Int
>   , f2 :: Bool
>   , f3 :: a
>   }
>
> deflt :: forall a. R a
> deflt = { f1 = 42, f2 = False }

and then override f3 via a record update. Of course, a function would work better, but we don't always get "better".

Along similar lines, I can easily imagine

> instance Num Nat where
>   (+) = ...
>   (*) = ...
>   -- no negate or abs

If the programmer were to implement negate, say, the implementation would just be a call to error, so why even bother when GHC helpfully supplies that implementation for you? Again, this isn't the way I would do it, but it's not absurd.

Bottom line for me: I think we should implement and then experiment. Given the potentially delicate nature of this, I might even advocate for implementing this in a release branch, so that as much of Hackage as possible actually has a hope of compiling. Then test to see where the breakage occurs. If were happy with the result, rebase the implementation on master. But I don't want us to get into a state where we accept, implement, observe moderate breakage, and then blast ahead because the committee approved the idea.

Richard

PS: Next additions to -Wsevere: type-errors (replacing -fdefer-type-errors), out-of-scope-errors (replacing -fdefer-scope-errors), partial-type-signatures (replacing -XPartialTypeSignatures), and maybe even derive-functor and friends (replacing -XDeriveFunctor). All of this can be done entirely backward-compatibly!