[ghc-steering-committee] Please review #601: Extension lifecycle, Shepherd: Simon PJ

Adam Gundry adam at well-typed.com
Thu Aug 24 19:45:12 UTC 2023

I support acceptance. Clearly communicating the stability of extensions
seems like a good step towards reducing uncertainty about their use.

The only reservation I have is that the proposal introduces warnings by
default for all Experimental and Deprecated extensions, and with -Wall
for all Legacy extensions. This seems like it could be quite noisy. It
all hinges on which extensions fall into each category, though, which is
not yet determined. So I'm content to wait for a follow-up proposal
defining the categorisation (which will be quite a task in its own
right!). We can always review the appropriate frequency of warnings when
we know exactly which extensions will be warned about.

It also occurs to me that extensions like NoFieldSelectors may be
awkward as we might want to say that FieldSelectors is Stable but
NoFieldSelectors is Experimental. But I doubt that's insurmountable, and
we can resolve it in the subsequent proposal.

Cheers,

Adam

--
Adam Gundry, Haskell Consultant
Well-Typed LLP, https://www.well-typed.com/

Registered in England & Wales, OC335890
27 Old Gloucester Street, London WC1N 3AX, England