[ghc-steering-committee] #190: Module qualified syntax, recommendation: accept

Eric Seidel eric at seidel.io
Fri Mar 8 13:50:33 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019, at 04:29, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> And if this management becomes too long, then instead of making
> exceptions, we should either hope for Haskell20xx to liberally include
> these “convenience extensions”, or otherwise make the management of the
> extension list easier (e.g. maybe by picking up
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/92 again).

I was going to argue alongside Simon in favor of just accepting the new syntax, when I remembered that emacs (with intero at least) can automatically insert necessary LANGUAGE pragmas, provided that GHC suggests them in its error message. This makes dealing with language extensions so much easier.

So I think I'd be ok with a new extension, small as it as, so long as we ensure that GHC suggests enabling it in its error messages!