[ghc-steering-committee] Unhappy proposers

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 18:22:46 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 11:01 AM Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de>
wrote:

> >    2. I think it would be good to try to keep the committee
> > discussion on Github more or less restricted to the committee and the
> > proposal author.  I think this would help keep steer discussions
> > towards termination (which is sometimes difficult even when we are
> > restricted to just the committee :-)
>
> Likely not possible from a technical point of view, but without
> enforcement not possible from a social point of view. I think if we
> move the discussion to Github, we have to face (and maybe benefit!)
> from a larger group of participants.
>
> (You can lock conversations, but that would also lock out the original
> author, see https://help.github.com/en/articles/locking-conversations)

Yeah, I didn't mean that we should do anything technical, just have this be
the specified process and hope that people more or less follow it.
Obviously, if someone has something productive to say during the committee
discussion, they can mention it and we can try to address it.

However, I think there is a benefit to encourage the community to give
their feedback before the committee discussion has begun,
as I think this 1) helps improve proposals, and 2) enables us (the
committee) to read through the discussion to see what the current opinions
are---
I find this quite helpful, as it gives me an idea of what people
like/dislike, and sometime points out issue I hadn't thought about.

-Iavor