[ghc-steering-committee] Status

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Mar 18 21:56:10 UTC 2018

Hi,

I hope you all survived the ICFP deadline well, and surely you are now
all eager to work off the pretty long list of proposals that are before
us.

Since the last status update, we
 * were asked to review these proposals:
   - kind and type vars in forall (Shepherd: SPJ)
   - Source Plugins (Shepherd: Chris Allen)
   - Constraint vs. Type (Shepherd: SPJ)
   - Type-level type app (Shepherd: Richard)
   - kind!! (Shepherd: Manuel)
   - as-patterns (Shepherd: me)
   - scoped type vars (Shepherd: Roman)
   - or-patterns (Shepherd: Manuel)
 * got a recommendation from shepherds about:
   - Int8/Word8 (accept)
   - DH quantifiers (accept)
   - Type-level type app (accept)
   - Constraint vs. Type (accept)
   - as-patterns (accept)
 * decided about the following proposals
   - unlifted newtypes (accept)
   - Int8/Word8 (accept)
   - type level app (accept)
   - as-patterns (accept)

Plenty of work to do, as we currently have to act on the following 12
proposals!

Plugin recompilation API
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/108
Shepherd: Ben, recommends acceptance
with criticism

Source Plugins
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/107
Shepherd: Chris Allen

kind and type vars
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/103
Shepherd: SPJ

Dependent Haskell quantifier syntax
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/102
Shepherd: Joachim, recommends acceptance

Binding existential variables
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/96
Shepherd: Roman

Embrace Type-In-Type
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/83
Shepherd: Iavor

Visible dependent quantification (TL;DR: forall k -> k -> *)
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/81
Shepherd: Roman Leshchinskiy

:kind!!
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/79
Shepherd: Manuel

Or-Patterns
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/43
Shepherd: Manuel

Constraint vs. Type
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/32
Shepherd: Simon PJS (proposed acceptance)

Mutable constructor fields
https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/8
Shepherd: Ryan Newton
discussion phase?