[ghc-steering-committee] Please review: Mutable constructor fields, Shepherd: Ryan Newton

Ryan Newton rrnewton at indiana.edu
Sat Mar 3 23:14:19 UTC 2018

I'm certainly fine with going back to discussion.

Simon PJ, much of your review was improvements/edits, and after those are
incorporated, which are the highest priority, deal-breaker issues for you?

In particular, the requirement to use reallyUnsafePtrEq# received some
subsequent discussion.  If we require at least one mutable field for a
constructor to have physical equality, then reallyUnsafePtrEq# can be
avoided both in derived or handwritten equality functions.  Does that
improve your assessment?

Best,
 -Ryan