[ghc-steering-committee] Remove TypeOperators => NoStarIsType "migration" (#146); Recommendation: accept

Ben Gamari ben at well-typed.com
Mon Jun 25 16:07:58 UTC 2018

Ben Gamari <ben at well-typed.com> writes:

> Hi everyone,

> The proposed amendment removes TypeOperator's implication of
> NoStarIsType. To be clear, this is ultimately a trade-off between
> optimising for users of (*) as a binary operator and users of * ~ Type.
> It just so happens that there are far more of the latter. Consequently,
> my recommendation is to accept the modified proposal.

Given that this is (hopefully) a relatively uncontroversial change,
my plan is to move ahead with issuing alpha 1 with the new NoStarIsType
semantics on Wednesday. If anyone on the committee feels strongly about
the issue and would prefer that I not do this do let me know soon and we
can discuss.

Cheers,

- Ben