[ghc-steering-committee] Bundling patterns with type synonyms (#28)

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sat Jun 23 17:00:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.06.2018, 18:18 -0500 schrieb Christopher Allen:
> Bundling patterns with type synonyms by Bertram Felgenhauer and Joe Hermaszewski
>
> https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/pull/28
>

> I think we should accept this proposal. There are a couple of
> open questions, ambiguities, and potential downsides but the overall
> complexity of the proposal doesn't cause me great concern.

I agree with Simon that might not take the language in the direction we
 want to take it.

In fact, if we had PatternSynonyms and ExplicitNamespaces back when
Haskell was first specified, we might not have the T(K) syntax at all,
and just a flat, explicit list of names, possibly requiring explicit
namespace qualifier to disambiguate? Things like deprecating exports
would have been easier then…

So while I follow the motivation of the proposal, and I don’t have
concrete other solution to offer, I am inclined to reject it: The
problem it is solving does not seem to be too urgent, and my gut
feeling says that there might be something better down the road.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de