[ghc-steering-committee] Kinds without promotion (#106)

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 20:54:36 UTC 2018

Hello,

it's been a couple of months since this was submitted to the committee, so
I'd be interested to get some feedback.   In summary, this proposal
introduces a mechanism for defining new kinds without having to promote a
datatype, thus avoiding pollution of the value level name space with unused
constructors.

This is not a particularly new idea, and folks have been asking for it for
at least 6 years now (e.g., see #6024).  A few of our projects at work make
use of a lot of type-level indexing (using GATs, etc.) and while things
mostly work pretty well, the clunkiness of having to promote datatypes when
you just want to define a new kind is something that keeps popping up over
and over again, which is why I was motivated to submit the proposal.

Thoughts?

-Iavor