[ghc-steering-committee] Nominations status and voting procedure

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Sun Jul 22 14:14:08 UTC 2018

Hi Committe,

just to keep you (and the curious public in the loop):

We have received five nominations so far, and I am very pleased with
them. They also arrived quite swiftly after the call, so these people
all seem to be responsive in a way that we appreciate :-)

What next? I will wait until after Monday, in case there are some more
nominations. Then I will paste all nominations into one email and send
it to the members of the committee (including the leaving Ryan, who
should have a say in his replacement – unless you, Ryan, would rather
not get involved), but _not_ this list (which is public)!

I propose we allow us one week to look at them and voice any opinions,
concerns and endorsements (using Reply-to-all, _not_ on this mailing
list).

After this week, I think we should have a proper vote on this, and not
just do the usual silence-is-consensus trick. I am a bit of a nerd when
it comes to voting systems, so I would like to so something better than
a simple majority vote: I will ask you to vote by making a complete
ranking of your choices. The winner will then be determined by
the Schulze Method (as used by Debian, FSFE and many other
organizations).

I will announce the result of the election on the mailing list, and
privately thanks the other nominations, without revealing who they are.

This voting system has the additional advantage that it gives us a
ranking of candidates, so if we chose to add more than one members at
this point (either to expand the committee, or if someone besides Ryan
wants to get out at this point), we can do that easily.

[Schulze Method]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

  mail at joachim-breitner.de