[ghc-steering-committee] GHC proposal process: merging and closing

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Feb 23 15:22:41 UTC 2018

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 23.02.2018, 16:15 +0100 schrieb Spiwack, Arnaud:
> To be fair, I said "could".

that’s fair :-)

> And the idea is that a proposal contains a lot beyond what the manual
> will. The entire specification section must make it to the manual.
> However, the motivations will usually be much shortened, and the
> alternatives will typically not be in a manual at all. A proposal
> also has a link to the github discussion which can give really
> insightful historical perspectives on a feature. So giving a link to
> the proposal could help someone who, for instance, is considering
> contributing an extension to a given feature. It's not something that
> should be prominent. But can feature in a "further reading" section,
> together with the relevant scientific articles.

True.

How about this: Out-of-scope proposals of value should be moved to the
GHC Wiki, where we already store design documents for future benefit.

Linking to them from the manual _for additional information that normal
users do not need_ is encouraged (again, this is something we already
do).

> I would personally go for closing after a while. Certainly with the friendly message!

I just did another round of nudges. I guess I will close when the
author does not respond to the nudges.

  mail at joachim-breitner.de