[ghc-steering-committee] GHC proposal process: merging and closing

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Fri Feb 23 14:36:59 UTC 2018

Hi Arnaud,

thanks for raising this; let me lay out the reasons for doing it the
current way (which is intentional, but not unchangeable):

 * Merging unapproved, but implemented proposals.

   This would mean that there would be some proposals in the directory
   https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals/tree/master/proposals

   that were not vetted, discussed and approved. Is that desirable? It
   seems it would water down the status of the rest.

   About documentation: The proposal can still be linked, during its
   implementation. Are you worried that the pull request will be lost
   somehow?

   You also write that the manual should link proposals (I guess that
   applies to all proposals). I don’t think we would be doing our users
   a favor here; they expect and deserve a comprehensive and self-
   contained manual.

 * Closing:

   We briefly had this discussion a while ago. The rationale to not
   close tickets that were not officially rejected is because
   contributor motivation is a scarce resource, and me just going
   around closing people’s proposals just because they are not able to
   press forward a lot.

   I am nudging stagnant proposals, and eventually mark them as
   “dormant”, as a more friendly way of closing them. Many authors
   then close them voluntarily when they have abandoned it.

   Note that the overview at
   https://github.com/ghc-proposals/ghc-proposals
   links to “≡ List of proposals under discussion”
   which includes only the somewhat active propsoals.

   Maybe I can close dormant porposals when nothing has happened in
   $n$ months, with a friendly message that it can be re-opend any
   time.