[ghc-steering-committee] Steering committee discussions

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at justtesting.org
Wed Feb 21 02:23:22 UTC 2018

I am sorry, but I am against moving the committee discussion to GitHub. This is for the following reasons:

* I don’t think, we will gain anything by moving to GitHub. Nothing is lost on the email list. The proposal author and anybody else can follow along as this is a public list.

* Proposals have a life cycle: writing, public commenting, refinement, and finally committee discussion (and then it may go around again if the proposal needs to be revised). Having the public, collaborative writing, public commenting, refinement steps on GitHub and the somewhat closed committee decision process on different media makes the mode change very explicit, which is good.

* I get a lot of email from GitHub. Most of it I deleted right away (including most ghc-proposal GitHub messages). Having the committee decision process by email makes it clear when I need to pay attention (without having to consult GitHub ticket labels).

* The Shepard has an incentive to briefly summarise the outcome of the committee discussion on GitHub after the decision is made (if it is all on GitHub, everybody needs to wade though everything).

* On GitHub it is much harder to see which comments are new, especially if the thread is long, because there was already a long community discussion phase.

* The committee discussion may be interleaved with additional public comments, because anybody else can comment, too, at the time, making it even harder to distinguish the committee discussion.

Cheers,
Manuel