[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal: Embrace Type in Type

Richard Eisenberg rae at cs.brynmawr.edu
Sun Feb 11 22:55:12 UTC 2018

> Maybe if we can find a uncommonly used, short, descriptive name then making that available without imports is viable? Do we have any good ideas?

My only idea (it's bad) is Sort. This is inspired by Pure Type Systems, where a type system is parametrized by a set of sorts, and (ignoring levity polymorphism and unlifted types), Haskell has one sort, which could be called Sort.

This is a bad idea for two reasons:
 - The motivation behind the name requires a reference to PTSs, which are advanced and esoteric.
 - It has nothing to do with, e.g., bubble sort, as everyone will be asking us into perpetuity.

I've been told that brainstorming works best when even bad ideas are brought up, and so I've done so. :)