[ghc-steering-committee] Proposal: Embrace Type in Type

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at justtesting.org
Fri Feb 2 01:40:50 UTC 2018

I am 100% for Part 2 of the proposal.

Regarding Part 1, I am not keen on moving further from the Report, but then the original Haskell spec wasn’t written with the sort of type-level programming extensions in mind that we have now. Hence, it is probably better to have the short, sharp pain of a change, rather than carry the cruft with us forever.

However, I have to say, I am very intrigued with the alternative to the proposal that Richard mentioned in this thread, namely to use ”type”, not ”Type”. The more I think about it, the more I like this idea.

* It allows us to have ”type” (the kind) available at all times, which, I think, is justified, given its very special meaning and ubiquitous need for denoting kind signatures.

* I also think, it is good to distinguish it from other kind constructors as it is not at all like the others.

* Having a lower case first letter, in my view, does decrease the additional visual noise over ’*’ (that Iavor mentioned) a bit.

* I also don’t think there is much risk to confuse it with a type variable as syntax highlighting will mark it up as a keyword, not a variable.

* Finally, it means that

    type T = Bool

  adds another equality to ”type”, which is really nice.

Cheers,
Manuel