[ghc-steering-committee] Our process and BIG ideas

Simon Peyton Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Wed Nov 15 09:38:58 UTC 2017

I’m basically with you, but I do think that check [2] is qualitatively different to [1].  You say

(b) The implementation is good, but the implementation turned out to be more costly than originally anticipated. In this case, code review will ask the contributor to revise their proposal, go back to the GHC Steering Committee, and get the revision approved. Now, this is the moment where the committee is asked to review the proposal in the light of the newly gained experience.

My concern about the slow accretion of hidden costs is more about the [1] than [2].  In principle, an implementation could be simple, while yet imposing previously unanticipated complexity on the language design.

An example: a type inference algorithm might be easy to implement, but it might behave unpredictably – e.g. if you change (e1,e2) to (e2,e1) the type inference fails – that is, it might be hard to specify in a programmer-accessible way.    Actually linear types could be like this.  The paper explicitly does not handle type inference; and neither does the proposal.  I’d be surprised if we couldn’t come up with an inference algorithm we all considered acceptable in language-design terms – not just in implementation terms – but still, it’s something we won’t know for a while.

I’m only saying that at checkpoint [2] the criteria are not just code/implementation quality and complexity; it also implicitly includes a review of the judgement made at checkpoint [1], in case the “slow accretion” has happened.

I don’t think there’s any disagreement here. No one wants a feature to end up in GHC that, in retrospect, we can see is mis-designed!   We have to balance that with giving contributors confidence, and enough certainty to invest their most precious resource (their own time) in GHC.

Nevertheless, we do *not* need a priori and inherently imprecise evaluation of whether a proposal is ”big” or complex. In fact, our process (the whole pipeline above) is adaptive

Yes – I’m not particularly seeking an a-priori evaluation of size (although, thinking aloud, I did speculate about such a thing).  But being adaptive is important.  A fly and an elephant are creatures on a continuous scale of creature sizes.  There is no point at which we can say “this creature is Big and the next smallest one is NotBig”.   And yet in the end elephants and flies really do need rather different treatment.

Simon