[ghc-steering-committee] Underscores in literals

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 18:11:57 UTC 2017

Hello,

This e-mail is about pull request #76, to allow underscores in numeric
literals:

https://github.com/takenobu-hs/ghc-proposals/blob/numeric-underscores/proposals/0000-numeric-underscores.rst

In short, this is a very simply feature, which modifies the notation for
numeric literals to allow writing underscores (_) in the middle of
literals.   The underscores are only to increase readability, and have no
effect on the meaning of the program.  So, for example, I could write
things like: 10_000_072 or 0xFFFF_FA10.

Many other languages have a similar feature (especially hardware
specification languages) and I see no downsides to it, so I think we should
accept it.

Please respond to this e-mail if you have objections.

Cheers,
-Iavor